Have you ever met people who go around everywhere with their MP3 players and their earbuds? The kind of people who walk around playing their own personal soundtrack? Well, what do you think would happen if the characters from Much Ado did this, and you happened to glance at Benedick or Beatrice’s iPod? Well that’s what we’re going to pretend in a little game I like to call “Benedick’s Infinite Variety Playlist.” Below is a list of the major events in the play that happen to Benedick. The problem is: they’re all on shuffle. Your job is to figure which song matches which event, put them in chronological order, and submit your answer in the comments below. Later this week, you can play the same game with Beatrice’s playlist. Have fun and remember, as Shakespeare said: “If music be the food of love, play on!”
Events For Benedick in Much Ado About Nothing in random order (Match these with the songs from the playlist below)
- Benedick and Beatrice have a brief fling and break up before the play begins
- Benedick sees Beatrice and fights with her with his wits.
- Benedick dances with Beatrice at the party.
- Beatrice insults Benedick mercilessly at the party.
- Don Pedro, Claudio, and Leonato claim they overheard Beatrice confessing her love to Benedick.
- Benedick decides to be “horribly in love” with Beatrice.
- Convinced that Beatrice loves him, Benedick tries to spruce up his appearance.
- After the wedding scene, (where Claudio discraces Hero), Beatrice asks Benedick to “Kill Claudio.” Benedick must choose between being Claudio’s friend, and becoming a real man.
- Benedick tries to coax Beatrice into admitting that she loves him
- Benedick marries Beatrice